For centuries people have been searching for the fountain of youth. Although this is in itself a fantasy you can increase your chances of living longer by making a few adjustments to the way you eat. Basically it all boils down to one factor diet. The old saying “you are what you eat” holds true when it comes to anti-aging. Eating better is the key to better health and increasing your chances of living longer.
What do we mean by eating better? Here are a few points:
- Cutting down our salt, and pure sugar intake
- Cutting down but not eliminating carbohydrates
- Eating more of these foods:
Legumes and lentils (peas, beans) etc
Whole grain breads, rice and cereals
All fish except for shell fish
Added to this list are foods that give extra boosts of phytochemicals that help the immune system and a variety of body functions. Blueberries, cranberries and strawberries all contain phytochemicals. These are readily available in grocery stores. However to get the benefit of the phytochemicals, these berries must be vine ripened and picked within the last 48 hours. You can also grow these small fruit trees and shrubs yourself and enjoy that fresh from the garden taste.
Other “super foods” include:
- Chlorella, is a small green algae which is loaded with, proteins, carbohydrates, all of the B vitamins, vitamins C and E, amino, enzymes and rare trace minerals
- Spirulina is a complete plant based protein that helps the auto immune system. It also contains trace mineral contents it helps with blood sugar maintenance and brain function.
- Sea vegetables (like seaweed), this would include seaweeds like kelp.
- Broccoli Sprouts, you can get these at many grocery stores in the produce section or at the health food store.
- Quinoa is a grain protein and is a good source of fiber and complex carbohydrates.
- Soybeans and soy products like tofu or soymilk. These are also available in the produce section of the grocery store.
- Flax seed- this is a good source of Omega-3 oils, which are helpful in heart conditions.
Diet is very important when it comes to anti-aging and with these suggestions you can easily make a few adjustments to your diet. At first it is a little hard to adjust but once you get into good eating habits you will feel better and look better. Plus you will be able to have more energy to do the things you want to do and get more out of life. Research has proven that when you add exercise to healthy eating you can indeed prolong your life by just a few simple changes to your lifestyle.